Personal Information We Collect About You
We may collect several types of information from visitors and supporters when they visit our website, make a donation or submit an application to volunteer with us. This information includes:
- Donors: we may collect your name, address, phone number, payment details, employer name, and email.
- Volunteers: we may collect your name, address, birthday, phone number, travel information, and certain medical information.
How We Collect Personal Information About You
We collect information directly from you when you provide it to us to make a donation or submit an application to volunteer with us. We also collect information through cookies when you visit our website. We also occasionally request feedback from supporters via surveys. Survey participation is entirely voluntary, therefore you can choose whether or not to disclose any or all information.
How We Use Your Personal Information
We use the information we collect from you or about you for the following purposes:
- To process your donation, using your name and payment details. We use third-party service providers to handle your payment details and process your donation, transmitting only the information necessary to execute and document the transfer of funds. We may have access to a partial credit card number, but we do not receive, store, share, or have access to your full credit card number.
- To process a matching donation from your employer, if you request this, using your name, employer name and employee email. We may share your employee email with third-party service providers, such as (but not limited to) Amply, Benevity, and YourCause, to facilitate this activity. Any other information that you subsequently share directly with these providers is addressed by and subject to their Privacy Policies.
- To send a tax receipt for your donation to the email or mailing address you provide.
- To contact you by email, phone, or mailing address (if provided) in order to resolve any issues regarding the execution of your donation.
- To report income received when we report the names of donors who contribute $5,000 or more annually on our tax documents.
- To identify you in our volunteer registration records using your name and email.
- To contact you by email or phone to confirm your registration and send you important information about your volunteer experience.
- To help you create a fundraising page at your request, using your name and email, through which you can collect donations on behalf of our organization. (This activity is completely optional.)
- To respond to any incidents involving your safety or the safety of other volunteers or members of the community, including the facilitation of emergency care and/or evacuation from a non-resident country.
- To identify homeowners in our records and associate them with the locations of the homes that may be worked on.
- To communicate with homeowners regarding the work performed on their home.
- To evaluate the eligibility of homeowners to receive potential grant funding, and to document the appropriate usage of funds from such sources.
- To create marketing materials for the purpose of attracting new donors and volunteers, using the likeness and first name of homeowners. No additional personal information is shared in these publications without explicit consent by homeowners.
When and How we Share Your Information
The personal information that we collect from you is stored in systems and databases that are hosted by third-party service providers. These service providers are not permitted to use or access your information in any manner outside of the purposes described in this Policy. We have instituted safeguards to protect the privacy and security of your data, and we require that our service providers do the same.
We do not share your personal data with any third parties outside of the purposes described in this Policy, unless: 1) you explicitly request it or consent to it; 2) we believe that we are required by law; or 3) to protect your safety or the safety of others.
International Transfer of Personal Information
We use third-party service providers to host data that we collect. These providers may choose to host this data in any location in accordance with the laws of that jurisdiction. By submitting this information to us, you consent to this transfer and storage of this information outside of your country of residence, including in the United States.
Data Storage and Retention
Your personal information is retained by us for as long as necessary to fulfill our legitimate business purposes, marketing objectives, legal and contractual obligations, or other lawful basis of processing as set forth in this Policy. For donors, legal obligations such as financial audits typically require us to retain a subset of your information for up to seven years. If data is no longer required to fulfill legal obligations, we will delete your data upon your request, and also inform our third-party providers of your request when necessary.
If You Don’t Provide Your Personal Information
You may use our website and learn about our organization without providing us any personal information. However, as described in this Policy, your personal information is necessary in order to make a charitable contribution through our website, or volunteer with one of our Programs. We do attempt to minimize the amount of data that is collected, and only require you to provide information when it is needed for a specific and lawful purpose as described in this Policy.
Personal Information of Children
We do not provide services directly to children under the age of 16, nor do we typically accept children under the age of 16 as volunteers. (Any exceptions require the explicit consent of a parent or legal guardian in all facets of the process.) As a result, we do not proactively collect or solicit the personal information from children under the age of 16.
Data Subject Rights
You have the right to request access to personal information that we have collected or shared, to request that your information be corrected or erased, and to object to our processing of your information for a particular purpose. We will need to confirm your identity before processing your requests, and an objection or request to delete data may be denied, with explanation, if we have a legitimate need to retain or continue processing your data. You may also withdraw consent to direct marketing at any time. If you are located in the European Economic Area, you also have the right to lodge a formal complaint with your local Data Protection Authority.
Our website contains links to other sites such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter, which may include photographs, videos, and other content related to our Programs, as well as other content unrelated to our organization. We encourage you to read the privacy notices of these linked sites; their privacy practices may differ from ours, and we assume no responsibility for their policies and practices. We do not share your personal information with these parties, and you are not required to provide it to them as a condition of donating to or volunteering with our Programs.